Since 1991, the staff of Hungarian Stem Cell Donor Registry has been striving to get the best donor for each patient, and to achieve most effective coordination within the international network. We are thankful to all Hungarian and foreign donors for offering voluntary donation.
Successful stem cell transplantation is due to the coordinated work of hematologists; transplant committees and working groups, laboratories and national as well as international registries. The aim of site is to inform professionals as well as laymen on the details of this process.
"THE ONE AMONG MILLIONS”
Stem cell transplantation is a promising therapy in case of malignant diseases, inherited disorders, immune-deficient states. The best solution would be a HLA identical sibling donor. Transplantation with the stem cells of a well-matched unrelated donor (MUD) can reach comparable success. The HSCDR serves as the nation’s hub for searching MUDs. The Hungarian stem cell registry started its activity in 1991. In 1992 it has become a partner of the international donor association and since then the registry has been providing data for the international database. The HSCDR was highly involved in the
Hungarian implementation process of the 2004/23/EC directive on setting standards of quality and safety for the donation, procurement, testig, processing, preservation, storage, and distribution of human tissues and cells.
Hungarian Stem Cell Donor Registry, former Hungarian Bone Marrow Donor Registry, was established in 1991. The aim was to provide basic contact between the clinical bone marrow transplantation program and the world-wide organisation.
In the same year, HBMDR became member of the international network of unrelated bone marrow donor registries (BMDW) which was managed from the co-ordinating centre in Leiden, Netherlands. HBMDR is member of WMDA.
HBMDR registers more than 5 000 volunteer bone marrow (stem cells) donors, providing HLA matched donor search for Hungarian and international patients, as well.
- Maintenance of national donor database (locally developed BoMaWin, which will be replaced soon with SW Prometheus supplied by Steiner, Ltd.)
- Bone marrow/PBSC donors’ recruitment
- HLA typing (in cooperation with OVSZ HLA typing laboratories)
- Blood sample procurement for confirmatory typing
- Searches for Hungarian patients in Hungarian and international registries
- Searches in HSCDR database for international patients (fax / e-mail requests are accepted)
- Cooperation with Hungarian transplant centres and international registries
- Coordination of donor work-up requests