Hungarian Stem Cell Donor Registry, former Hungarian Bone Marrow Donor Registry, was established in 1991. The aim was to provide basic contact between the clinical bone marrow transplantation program and the world-wide organisation.
In the same year, HBMDR became member of the international network of unrelated bone marrow donor registries (BMDW) which was managed from the co-ordinating centre in Leiden, Netherlands. HBMDR is member of WMDA.
HBMDR registers more than 5 000 volunteer bone marrow (stem cells) donors, providing HLA matched donor search for Hungarian and international patients, as well.
- Maintenance of national donor database (locally developed BoMaWin, which will be replaced soon with SW Prometheus supplied by Steiner, Ltd.)
- Bone marrow/PBSC donors’ recruitment
- HLA typing (in cooperation with OVSZ HLA typing laboratories)
- Blood sample procurement for confirmatory typing
- Searches for Hungarian patients in Hungarian and international registries
- Searches in HSCDR database for international patients (fax / e-mail requests are accepted)
- Cooperation with Hungarian transplant centres and international registries
- Coordination of donor work-up requests